Thursday, November 15, 2012

Introduction to my blog

Have you sometimes wondered about being a ‘Hindu’?

The feeling of knowing everything about it, having grown up within the religion which extended into a social, cultural, devotional sphere amidst festivals, temple gatherings and prayers and yet not quite knowing everything or even knowing enough about anything that makes Hinduism?
In my experience I often find that Hindus usually have the faith but cannot quite articulate what exactly they believe in or harder still what they do not believe. They cannot always completely or accurately answer questions thrown at them by others and then choose to simply make things up as they go along rather than confess to being unaware regarding ‘what Hinduism is all about’. For example how many different answers have we all heard when an explanation is demanded about ‘idol worship’ or ‘creation’, or simply ‘God’?

Hindus are proud that they do not usually thrust their beliefs upon anyone. They celebrate their religion and it naturally becomes a way of life no matter how modern a lifestyle Hindus may lead. On auspicious days religion becomes important and fun so that everyone can be greeted, blessed, celebrated with whereas on some other days it can become part of a ‘let’s not go there zone’ or at least a ‘private affair’. There is a definite reluctance to excessively attach with our religion owing to a fear of being labelled a fanatic or a fundamentalist etc which arises out of and leads to our ignorance of Hinduism itself like a vicious cycle. It must be right to strike a moderate’s balance but surely it does not serve as an excuse to be unaware? Some theorists claim that as Indian Hindus get more prosperous their interest in religion will be renewed and they will devote more time and resources to learn more about this oldest religion of all which is perhaps their greatest wealth to treasure without necessarily or naturally resulting in greater aggression or conflict as is feared.

In fact none of us can ever resist a jolly good debate about anything and especially so about all things related to religion. What amazes me is how we all jump into the ring with whatever little we know and start.. um. fighting. Oh yes we do ‘do God’.  Therefore it is almost incumbent upon all of us believers and non believers to try and learn a little bit more about the subject at hand, to know Hinduism as it really is before we wax eloquent. We proudly follow the rituals and happily reap the fruits or the Prasad. How can we then justify not following up on it whilst calling ourselves modern men of reason and not try to learn the wisdom behind that worshipping?

My journey aims just to dust off this same web of ignorance so that the next time I say, “yes I believe”, I do not have to stop there and can say some more. However I do not intend to use this blog to promote my views or worse still push them upon others at the expense of their religious beliefs, nor do I wish to score any major points in making claims about the vast all encompassing nature of the Hindu religion and my association with this great religion. This blog simply records my personal journey in trying to understand what my religion is all about and may not be viewed as a scholarly source of religious knowledge.

This simple stated aim of mine is a hugely challenging task! Precisely because Hinduism or ‘Sanaatan Dharma’ as it is known is so very ancient that some truths have become obscure or some misconceptions have crept in. The scriptures which form the basis of our religion for most believers are written in a Vedic Sanskrit that even the most learned scholars struggle to accurately decipher. Those learned ones who are kind enough to teach and preach help to decode the Shastras but these contain a vast amount of information which seems complex and sometimes contradictory. Moreover we learn differently in this modern world than how ancient people used to ‘learn’ from their Gurus. So we do not even have the process or path to get to the truth of Sanaatan Dharma much less the precious knowledge itself. Nevertheless let us try to uncover what we can and then inevitably to an extent each one will find his or her meaning. Fortunately this flexibility is embedded within our faith and so we can all find something meaningful and a practical message to apply to our current life.

Naturally the content of my blog is not so much my ‘original work’ but rather a consolidation of the study of what various eminent scholars have written about Sanaatan Dharma. I am creating this blog as per what I interpret and understand by reading their books or sites on Hinduism and its various aspects. This means that the speciality of this blog might be seen in the format followed by referencing various sources to elucidate religious concepts with sequential continuity in response to fundamental questions I have and possibly others have too. Also I will try to lay out my understanding of each concept in byte sized chunks (followed by my own instinctive thoughts about the concept) which may be useful as well.

Once I have interpreted the fundamentals or ‘key concepts’ about the ‘Sanaatan Dharma’ to my satisfaction then thereafter I am going to build on this foundation to find practical teachings and values that can regularly cast a positive impact on daily life. The ‘Smriti’ scriptures contain a vast treasure of knowledge imparted through interesting mythological and historical stories which I would love to learn more about and record here. I aspire also to use this blog as a journey of learning about the deities, the temples, the festivals, the celebrations which have grown to make my religion so colourful, accessible and beautiful over so many years.

Please take in what you find useful and leave the rest. I do not wish to dispute anyone else’s versions and do not claim that I will make no mistakes at all in this blog as understanding and writing about religion after all is a complicated task. I would just like to ask you therefore to please bear with me.